Monday, March 24, 2014

Why Fermented Foods?!



Not only is it a win-win situation ~ it’s a gut thing! 

Fermentation breaks down the hard to digest components of foods and tends to maximize the nutrients.  Kinda like digesting my food a little for me before I even take a bite so that I ingest the best parts.  (vision of a mama bird feeding a baby bird)

Lately I’ve been doing fermented oatmeal.  Leaving the oatmeal to ferment overnight does not give it a sour or tangy taste, that being said when the heat goes up in the house this summer I may have to leave it out a little less time.  There is that old saying “some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot nine days old”.  I like mine about 1 day old and hot.  (see the recipe at www.likeicancook.blogspot.com )

About a week ago sauerkraut was made in this house with raw milk whey, cabbage, caraway seeds and a lot of packing into a mason jar!  Sauerkraut is easy to absorb nutrients and helps improve the quality of gut bacteria we host by acting like a pre-biotic and pro-biotic all in one.

Homemade Sauerkraut


There are many foods and drinks you can prepare with fermentation.  You’ll have to try something that suits your taste buds and gives you what you are looking for.

Water Kefir infused with apples and cinamon



No comments:

Post a Comment