Monday, January 23, 2012

Why Soak?








Sometimes I have to remind myself why I do the things I do...

If you eat substantial quantities of raw pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts, filberts or others, you have a choice of swallowing enzyme capsules (available through us so send an email if you want to know more about Loomis Enzymes) with them to neutralize their enzyme inhibitors or first germinating the nuts and letting nature do the job through increased enzyme activity resulting from germination.

Almost anyone can eat several nuts without feeling any effect but it is common knowledge that nuts are heavy on the stomach if consumed in substantial quantity. So what is substantial quantity? I don't know but I think at least one serving a day would be a good addition to your diet as you take baby steps towards a more natural basic diet. So why not germinate those tasty raw nuts?? It's not that hard.

I throw the nuts in a bowl of filtered water, sprinkle the water with sea salt and let them sit out overnight. The next day I drain and rinse (especially the pecans and walnuts because I don't like the skin stuff that stays on them otherwise) and I either dehydrate them or pop them on cookie sheets in the oven on no more than 150 degrees.

Nuts do not go rancid easily and once prepared may be stored for many months at room temperature in an airtight container. However, walnuts are more susceptible to rancidity so store those treasures in the refrigerator!

So now I remember, it has to do with the enzyme inhibitors....

No comments:

Post a Comment