Monday, January 27, 2014

To Tape or Not To Tape ~ The Sticky Question!



I recently wore Kinesio tape where it could be seen on my neck and I got a lot of questions about it.  Our friend wore it on his legs for a half marathon and other runners questioned him about it.  I saw a facebook post today saying something about “don’t knock it until you try it”.  So I thought I’d take a little time to educate, empower and encourage you about taping!

First what is it?

It’s a type of thin, elastic cotton tape.  It comes in a multitude of colors!  The tape itself is able to stretch.  As a result, if the tape is applied to a patient on a stretch greater than its normal length, it will "recoil" after being applied and therefore create a pulling force on the skin or muscle that it is being applied to. This elastic property allows much greater range of motion compared to traditional white athletic tape and can also be left on for long periods of time before reapplication.

How might it work?

There are several  benefits claimed for the tape. One of those is correcting the alignment of weak muscles as well as facilitating joint motion as a result of the tape's recoiling qualities. The tape is also claimed to lift the skin, increasing the space below it, and increasing blood flow and circulation of lymphatic fluids.

Basically taping is a technique based on the body's own natural healing process. It gives support and stability to a person's joints and muscles without affecting or reducing circulation and range of motion.   

It can also be used as preventive maintenance, to re-align bones and muscles or for patients with edema.

What it did for me…

When I was having problems with my foot (Plantar Fasciitis) the doctor taped my foot on 3 different visits.  It helped lift my arch and relieve some of the pain.
Recently when I had separation of the Sternoclavicular Joint I was adjusted by a chiropractor and taped for 30 days (tape was changed out periodically).  Today I continue to have my shoulder rehabbed and am pleased with the results I am getting from regular adjustments and various other techniques used on my shoulder.
What can it do for you?
I liked this slogan “Taping the world for health…….”  and you can learn more about Kinesio tape at

http://www.kinesiotaping.com

...on a side note:  www.delmarvachiropractic.com has this service available to you!

A little shoulder action.

A multitude of colors!




 


No comments:

Post a Comment