Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kevin McKamey Chiropractor Salisbury Maryland

Dr. Kevin McKamey, Salisbury Chiropractor and wife Julie
Kevin McKamey, DC and wife Julie

Dr Kevin McKamey

                                       **********************************

Compassion, Attention to Details and Experience with a Determination to get to the Root of the CAUSE!

Car accident led me to become a Chiropractor

I was a chiropractic patient long before deciding to leave a career in the maritime industry and enroll in chiropractic college in 2004. I received my first chiropractic adjustment some 25 years earlier in 1985. 
I was a few weeks into my post-operative recovery from rotator cuff surgery to my right shoulder, when I was rear ended by another driver while stopped at a traffic signal. Over the next several days I experienced headaches, neck, mid back and shoulder pain with muscle spasms and stiffness. 

At the suggestion of my father, I sought the care of a Doctor of Chiropractic. Diagnosed with a Whiplash injury to the spine and postsurgical soft tissue trauma to the shoulder I entered into a year long treatment regime which brought about complete restoration of function and range of motion to my spine and shoulder.
Chiropractic treatments kept me from having surgery for a herniated lumbar disc. 
I again referred to chiropractic care when I  herniated a lumbar disc a few years later. After an orthopedic surgical consultation, during which a stabilization procedure was recommended, I decided to elect conservative care. After researching outcomes of lumbar surgery and talking to several people who had undergone invasive procedures, I felt the risks were too great. The outcome was positive in less than half of those who underwent lumbar fusion surgery and I didn’t like those odds. Chiropractic treatments helped me overcome the pain associated with my disc problems and strengthen and restore function of my low back. Twenty years later I remain essentially symptom free with regular chiropractic adjustments and an arsenal of maintenance exercises.

Chiropractic Education and Philosophy

With a desire to help others and an opportunity to make a career change I plotted a new course in life. There had been a long time interest in natural healing and I held a belief that GOD had created us to live a much longer healthier life than most of us do. The idea that “the power that made the body, heals the body” resonated strongly with me. Chiropractic philosophy held that premise as truth and with encouragement from my wife Julie, my chiropractor in Charleston, SC and a host of friends and family I mailed an application and was accepted to Logan College of Chiropractic in Chesterfield, Missouri. I left my job on the Charleston waterfront and in 2004 my family and I moved to Ballwin, MO just minutes from the Logan campus. Logan College happened to offer exactly what I needed, a basic science program leading to a Bachelors Degree and a comprehensive, accredited Doctoral curriculum with an opportunity to complete my Masters degree.

A little bit about me 

I possess a wide variety of life experience, something that lends well to interacting with a diverse patient base. I am  a 10+ year veteran of the United States Navy Submarine Service where I served as a submarine weapons systems technician on USS Benjamin Franklin SSBN 640, USS Woodrow Wilson SSBN 624 and USS Grayling SSN 624. I also served as an enlisted tactics instructor at the Naval Submarine School in New London, CT. I hold a US Merchant Mariners document as an Able Seaman Unlimited Tonnage and a Masters License (Captain) from the United States Coast Guard allowing me to command passenger and other commercial vessels up to 500 Gross Tons in coastal and near coastal waters. My experiences as a husband, father, Captain and member of the Armed Forces have given me patience, compassion and dedication with a keen focus and attention to details.

My family

As a family we have always enjoyed the outdoors. When the boys were young we were deeply involved in Little League baseball. Not inclined towards watching television to excess we spent much of our recreational time out of doors enjoying bicycling, swimming, fishing, hiking and exploring. We have visited numerous State and National Parks across the United States and spent countless hours driving through the countryside of this great land. Julie and I continue to enjoy drives along the back roads enjoying everything the area has to offer. Assateauge Beach has become one of our favorite destinations.

Thank you for taking time to visit this blog!

2 comments:

  1. I can see that you are putting a lot of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the good work.Some really helpful information in there. Nice to see your site. Thanks!

    Charleston Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, local chiropractors

    ReplyDelete